

A Mile of History
The Nautical Mile has been a staple for the district of Freeport for many centuries. It has come a long way from the boating industry it was once known for. So let's look back at all the Nautical Mile has been through before it was known for its popular waterfront and eating districts.
​
PHOTO BY NY HERITAGE
​
THE HISTORY OF THE NAUTICAL MILE

A TIMELINE OF THE NAUTICAL MILE
​

The Development of Raynor Town
The town of Freeport was first founded in 1650 by a man named Edward Raynor. The town of Freeport, originally named after Edward Raynor, was called Raynor South and later changed to Raynor town.
​
Photo by Eesha Butt
​
​

The Birth of Freeport
The town residents began opting for a name change for the town. In 1853 the town was officially called Freeport. No one really knows why the name was chosen.
Many speculated that perhaps it's because the ship captains were not charged for cargo.
Photo by Eesha Butt

The Nautical Mile During the Civil War
During the Civil War, the town became a popular location to get fresh and delicious oysters with its oyster industry booming. Decades later, the industry crumbled as waters were too polluted to provide consumers with exquisite oysters.
​
Photo by Eesha Butt

The Nautical Mile During WWII
However, as one industry failed another boomed. The boating industry skyrocketed during World War II as boats were being built for American and British navies at the Woodcleft Canal, which is now formally known as the Nautical Mile.
​
Photo by NY Heritage

The Birth of The Nautical Mile
With World War II over, the canal became a popular location for recreational boating and charter fishing vessels. Seeing what was once a hub for oysters and boat building, The Mile became a popular destination for Long Islanders to enjoy the frigid winters and warm summers.
Photo by NY Heritage
​

The Nautical Mile in the 19th Century
At the end of the 19th century, two men by the name of John Randall and William G. Miller transformed the Woodcleft Canal into South Shore Long Island’s biggest waterfronts that are still up and running and more successful than ever. It is now more known to be a tourist attraction with its boutiques, over the top events, pricey parking and additional summer activities to do on the water.
Photo by NY Heritage
THE GROVERS
THE IMPACT THEY HAD ON THE NAUTICAL MILE

AL GROVER
Throughout his life, Albert Grover became a successful fisherman, boat builder, salesmen and marina owner. ​
​
In 1950, Albert Grover, invested in property on the Nautical Mile. He only had a small amount of money.
​
By 1952, Grover became the youngest and most accomplished boat dealer on Long Island.​
​
By 1969, Grover built Al Grover's High and Dry Marina.
​
Al Grover's High and Dry Marina is now one of the largest enclosed marinas on Long Island.
​
Photo by Daniel Harding Jr.
​

ROSEMARIE “Artie” GROVER
The wife of Albert Grover, Rosemarie had a passion for sculpting and the arts. She also had a love & appreciation for Freeport's Marina like her husband.
​
In 1965, Rosemarie came up with the name, "Nautical Mile" for the lively waterfront destination.
​
She chose this name not because the Nautical Mile is a mile. In fact, the Nautical Mile is slightly over one mile.
​
However, she liked the name and I think many can agree as the name,
"Nautical Mile" stuck for decades to come.
​
Photo by Eesha Butt
​
​

GROVER DAY
In 1985, Grover brought along Al Jr. (his son, and later Dante (his other son) as they sailed 3,000 miles from Nova Scotia to Portugal.
​
Traveling in a 26-foot "Groverbuilt" skiff called the "Spirit of Freeport," they achieved a world record and swept away the hearts of many Freeport residents.
​
The Village of Freeport declared September 22, 1985 as "Grover Day."
A parade was hosted for the Grover family, honoring all they have done for the Nautical Mile and the Village of Freeport.
​
​
​
​
Photo by Eesha Butt
​

AL GROVER JR.
Since Al Grover Jr. was named after his father, Albert Grover, he decided to join in his father's footsteps.
​
He is a hardworking and humble man with a love for the Nautical Mile, just like his father.
​
He was born and raised right on the Nautical Mile as his family lived right above the family's business.
​
Now a businessman and marina owner, he owns both sides of the Nautical Mile, starting from "Halfway Down" all the way to "River House Grille."​
​
Honoring his family's legacy, he even has a mini museum in his home with him and his family's accomplishments.
​
Photo by Eesha Butt

HOW THE NAUTICAL MILE LOOKED BACK IN THE 19TH CENTURY
THE NAUTICAL MILE HAS CHANGED SIGNIFICANTLY OVER THE PAST DECADE HOWEVER, A FEW RESTAURANTS STILL REMAIN STANDING TO THIS DAY.
SCROLL THROUGH THE SLIDESHOW BELOW
PHOTO BY NY HERITAGE
WANT TO LEARN MORE?
REGINA FEENEY,
HISTORIAN & LIBRARIAN
Devoting her life to the world of digitization, this enables people to have access to historical pictures with a click of a button. This not only allows easy access to photos from the past just as I have done, but also allows for the preservation of history as these pictures can never be destroyed once they`re online.
PHOTO BY FREEPORT MEMORIAL LIBRARY
For more information on The Nautical Mile and the town that built it click the link below


